Saturday, October 15, 2011

Portraits on Wood - wood burning art, pyrography

Portraits on wood, gives us special gifts for friends and family using wood burning art.

  The love of pyrography is a fun and exciting art, something like painting with fire. Although we have modernized our techniques significantly, it still brings a bit of power to ones center when creating, using a natural element. Not only is it fun but very rewarding. When making portraits on wood it seems as an artist that I become one with the piece. I have done several portrait pieces, some even in duplicate, and each piece is rewarding as you study your subject and bring their image to life from a piece of wood using fire and heat.
  It takes an amazing amount of patience to burn your image, unlike drawing or painting where you are transferring your medium directly, in wood burning art, you are drawing the image out of the wood it seems. As you burn the surface, darkening the wood, the wood gives - through grain and texture to produce a beautiful portrait on wood. Even when duplicating a piece which I love to do, each piece is very different and as unique as the wood itself. When using the technique of pyrography you are applying heat, and as the wood burns you move along slowly creating lines, shadows and textures. You can use different tips, and heat ranges to adjust to the differences in wood to create your piece. This can be time consuming, depending on the types of wood and tools used to achieve the desired effects..
  Portraits on wood offer a special challenge as well, it can seem that you are not only duplicating a persons image but you also want to capture their personality. Shadow and texture building in wood burning art  is key to building that image and creating the personality behind the image. Adding background effects can enhance an image as well as add a bit to the piece and the portraits uniqueness.
  Gifts made from wood burning art, can be very special, and enhance a design or home decor style. They can be rugged in style, made from found wood, or processed wood. The bark can be intact for a natural effect, or you can use pieces that have been rounded, squared and smoothed and varying in shape and size. Many like a stained frame on wood surfaces, as well as the bark frame.
  I have done several portraits of families, children, grandchildren, parents, pets, people on motorcycles, deer hunter portraits with their kills and even portraits of those who have passed on. In each one, these portraits on wood, were special and unique to those who had commissioned my work, and those receiving the items as gifts. I have seen my portraits bring tears and smiles to those who have chosen to honor my skill and work.
I would like to thank all my customers who have brought me such joy in being a part of their families and have let me honor them with my gifts as well. If you are shopping for portraits on wood, using wood burning art, please visit my website, or shoot me an email, and lets create some wonderful gifts.
  Visit my Pyrography Gallery for gift ideas.

No comments: